Getting to the Bottom of the Big Butt Craze...10 Facts about America’s Fastest Growing Cosmetic Procedure
POSTED ON MONDAY, OCTOBER 16, 2017 AT 12:07 PM
No ifs, ands, or butts about it! Augmentations of the derriere are the procedures everyone is buzzing about. In the late 90’s it was Jennifer Lopez’s perfect behind, in the 2000’s it was Beyoncé’s ‘Bootylicious.’ Today Kim Kardashian’s bottom has its own emoji. Nobody can deny all eyes are on the rear and booty obsession is only gaining momentum.
The facts are these: “butt-jobs”, like the Brazilian Butt Lift, are up 25% percent in the past year. As with any relatively new procedure the sensationalized stories abound and the misconceptions are many. North Carolina board certified plastic surgeon and best selling author Dr. John Zannis reports that The Brazilian Butt Lift procedure has become the fastest growing by popular demand. He answers our 10 most burning questions on achieving a bodacious bum and the different enhancement options available.
1. What are the most common procedures for butt augmentations?
“There’s fat grafting (the Brazilian Butt Lift), which uses the patient's own fat to transfer to the buttocks. It is very natural and safe, but limited by the amount of fat available for grafting,” says Dr. Zannis “Then there are implants. Firm silicone prostheses are used to augment the buttocks. With this process there is no need for fat harvesting.”
2. What are some common concerns or dangers, of either process?
“The main concern with the Brazilian Butt Lift is losing some of the fat. It is normal for about 85% of the fat grafted to survive. The problem is, if it ends up a little asymmetric, a touch up would be needed. Implants are more complicated. There are risks like infection or extrusion- the implant coming out,” cautions Zannis. Ouch!
3. What is recovery like? How many weeks or months does a full recovery take? How much time should a patient take off work? What can the patient expect after the procedure? What is the level of pain and bruising?
“Full recovery takes about 8 - 12 weeks, for either process,” explains Dr. Zannis. “A week off from work is usually sufficient, though sitting should be limited the first 2 weeks. The Brazilian Butt Lift comes with significant bruising and swelling in the areas of fat harvest (liposuction). The bruising lasts a couple of weeks and the swelling goes away in 4-8 weeks.” He also recommends compression garments and donut pillows.
4. What is the "shelf" life of fat grafting vs. implants?
Great news on this one! “The fat that survives the initial recovery period should last forever. It will grow and shrink with weight changes like normal fat,” says Zannis. “The implants should also last the remainder of your life as they are made of semi solid material.”
5. Can you give us some realistic v. unrealistic expectations?
“We realistically can obtain a medium-large augmentation in one treatment. This means 500-1000 cc per buttock, of fat. It’s unrealistic to achieve a huge derriere in a single session,” explains Dr. Zannis.
6. Who is NOT a candidate for enhancement?
“A bad candidate for fat grafting would be a very thin patient. Patients with a low Body Mass Index (BMI) should go for implants,” says Zannis.
7. What are the most common misconceptions about each procedure?
“Many patients believe that a huge butt is achievable in one procedure. Even skinny patients think they can accomplish this, despite having little fat to transfer,” says Dr. Zannis.
8. Technically speaking what measurements do you find most flattering? Is there a formula for achieving the best look?
“It’s all about proportion of hips to waist and waist to breasts. Urban legend describes the best female proportions to be 36-24-36 but what both men and women find attractive is a relatively low BMI and curvaceous figure,” explains Dr. Zannis.
9. Do a lot of patients ask for their derrieres to resemble a celebrity’s? Which are the most common celebs mentioned?’
“Most people say ‘I want a Kim Kardashian or Nicki Minaj shape but I don’t want it to look THAT big’,” laughs Dr. Zannis. “Most people agree J.Lo is the ultimate goal.”
10. And finally which would you consider safer or more desirable, Brazilian Butt Lift or implants?
“Fat grafting is much safer and more desirable because the risks are lower and the results more natural,” concludes Zannis.